It’s the big one. Your pram is a major investment plus it’s one of the most well used pieces of baby gear you’ll buy. Get your choice right and you’ll love getting out and about with bub.
But boy, the choice is overwhelming! Visit a baby store or look online and you’ll see hundreds of prams, all with different options. Avoid the confusion and check out my shortlist… I’ve gathered together the safety aspects, some questions to ask yourself when you’re shortlisting, plus a great selection of prams I really like.
Safety Standards and Tips – remember…
To meet Australian Safety Standards all prams need:
– a red brake
– a hand strap
– a 5 point safety harness
And Don’t forget…
Prams are designed to be light enough to move easily so they can slip away easily if you get distracted or are on even a slight incline. Always wear the wrist strap!
Babies should only sleep in the pram for short periods of time. Frequently check your baby if they fall asleep on the go.
Phones are a distraction – get a caddy to store it and make sure you’ve got your eyes on the road and pram at all times.
Looking around? Ask these questions when you’re choosing:
- Can it fit your newborn from day one or do you need to buy a separate bassinette?
- What does it weigh? Trust me when I say, you’ll hate a pram that’s too heavy to lift in and out of your car.
- How does it fold? Do you need to take the seat off? Is it easy to collapse? Try it out in the store.
- How will it fit in your car? Is there room for your groceries (golf clubs, art easel, or fencing set) as well?
- What comes with it for the price? Some prams include the kitchen sink… but sadly, most don’t.
- What’s the storage like? Big basket underneath? You’re gonna use that storage when you’re on the go.
- Does it convert with a toddler seat if you plan on another baby soon? (like I did, you crazy kids.)
- What kind of tires? Air or solid? (A pump might be a good idea for air tires.)
- Can your baby capsule fit on with adapters? This is genius for the early months. The number of times your baby falls asleep… just as you reach your destination.
- How will you attach your nappy bag safely?
Here’s a few I like…
Links to where you can buy and find out more plus some reviews:
- Stokke Crusi (with a great review and pics here)
- MB Urban Jungle Luxury Edition
- Joolz Day Tailor Plus a review
- Bugaboo Donkey & review.
- Baby Jogger City Mini GT
And all the Pram Accessories you might like to add to your shopping list:
- A Rain Cover (keep baby nice and dry)
- Sun Cover (cool and keeps the burning sun away)
- A Drinks holder (for you on your lovely walks)
- A Sleeping Bag (a winter must post 4-6 months!)
- Smartphone holder
- Or a Stroller Caddy to carry all your bits and pieces.
Finally, what’s the perfect accessory? Your adorable bub! Good luck with your Pram shopping.