That momentous day is ahead. Packing up your brand new bundle and making that first drive in the car. “You’re driving too fast!” Slow down over the speed bumps!” “Does that harness look right?” All while sitting in the back of the car, watching every move.
My tiny baby can now kick the back of my seat and likes the music nice and loud… but I can still remember it well.
When you’re buying for baby a car seat is one of the big ticket items you want to get right. Not only because it’s a reasonable portion of your baby budget but also because it’s going to keep your beautiful baby safe when you’re out and about.
If you’ve already visited a baby store or started looking online you’ve probably noticed that:
- There are lots of different seats to choose from!
- There are two different sorts suitable for a newborn: A Capsule or a Convertible Car Seat.
To help you understand and make the decision a little easier here’s the lowdown on each seat type, the cost breakdown and some handy links at the bottom to find what you’re looking for.
A capsule fits your baby from 0-6 months and lets you strap the baby into their seat before you head to the car. The capsule then clips into a base that stays in the vehicle.
- A sleeping baby doesn’t get disturbed by unclipping the straps to move it around – take the capsule with you when you arrive and leave.
- Depending on your stroller it could it may clip on using an adapter. (like this one)
- If your car is a distance from your house it’s easy to get everything ready, head to the car and clip the baby in easily.
- There is extra expense as you need to upgrade the seat when the baby is around 6 months.
- A stroller adapter for your prams is extra $$.
- Due to the shape of the capsule babies should only be in them for a short period of time.
- Capsules get very heavy to lug around.
Cost Breakdown for a Capsule
Buying and hiring are your two options. And listen here… I don’t want you thinking that hiring is dodgy and that you might end up with someone else’s grubby seat. Most hire companies (and in particular Hire for Baby who I would highly recommend) provide an amazing service and the seats are thoroughly cleaned and safety checked. You can hire capsules for up to 9 months plus the installation by a trained installer is free. They also hire capsule adapters if your chosen capsule is compatible with your stroller. So you can get everything in the one spot.
Fits your baby from 0-4 years (approx.). It’s installed in the car for you and stays there. It starts as a rear facing seat and then you get it re-installed front facing when your baby is big enough*.
- Cost – One investment at the beginning
- It will lasts your baby from newborn until around 4 years of age.
- Arrive at your destination and you have to unclip the baby out of the seat. 9.5 times out of 10 they’ll wake up.
So, before you make your choice…Look around for a competitive price. There are often good sales about if you look for them! If you want to see the latest seat performance tests head to CREP and then speak to a trained installer about which seats they recommend.
Remember to always…
- speak to a qualified technician about which seat is best for your baby
- have your car seat professionally installed
- get the installer to explain how to use the seat safely (don’t buy the best seat and then not use it correctly will you…?)
- *seek advice from a qualified technician about when it’s safe to have your baby in a front facing seat