Weeks 4 to 6
- Is that really two lines on a pregnancy test? Congrats! After you’ve confirmed the pregnancy with your doctor consider who you would like to carry out your pregnancy and birth care (Midwife, Obstetrician etc) and schedule and your first appointment.
- Stock up on extra folic acid and don’t forget to keep taking it.
Weeks 7 to 11
- Find some great reading material. My two favourites were ‘What to expect when you’re expecting, for a week by week understanding of what’s happening to your body) plus Kaz Cookes “Up the Duff”, a not so glamorous but hilarious look at life plus a bump. Loved the measurements across the page for the size of baby. Buy it here http://www.booktopia.com.au/up-the-duff/prod9780670072347.html
- Check out some apps available to document your pregnancy here http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/parenting+pregnancy/pregnancy/six+of+the+best+pregnancy+apps,13705
- Morning sickness? Hideous. Not much helps this but hopefully this will ease off a in a few more weeks time. Ginger beer might help – it did for me (but only slightly!)
Weeks 12 to 14
- Baby bump?! Your belly might just be popping over those jeans. Do you want to record your pregnancy? There are some fun ideas around. Like… http://video.news.com.au/2208922840/Watch-a-ninemonth-pregnancy-in-90-seconds
- You might be about to get your first peak at baby. It’s truly amazing to see an actual baby in there… teeny tiny as it may be.
- Start thinking about how to approach work regarding announcing you are pregnant and planning your maternity leave. Know your rights http://www.business.vic.gov.au/operating-a-business/employing-and-managing-people/employer-responsibilities/maternity-and-parental-leave
- Find out about antenatal classes which are run by hospitals and independent organisations
- Boobs! Depending on if they are changing it might be time to check out wireless maternity bras.
Weeks 15 to 18
- Now is a great time to start thinking about the big ticket items… Cot/Pram/car seats…
- The second trimester is usually the safest and best time to travel. Now’s the time to book your babymoon! Where are you going on your ‘it’s the last time with just the two of us‘ holiday’?